JOIN OUR FLEET
You’re a foreign founder. You have tons of questions about Silicon Valley. How does it work? What are the pros and cons? What should be considered before making a move?
The Refiners is here to help you!
We receive tons of request for interviews every day. We love chatting with you because it’s a great opportunity to learn more about the vision for your business...But, it’s time to organize this a little better so we can get back to all of you.
HOW YOU APPLY
We’ve decided that, after a couple of years of reviewing hundreds to now thousands of proposals, hunches, and pumped ideas cluttering our application database, we took a look at the numbers. Actually, we noticed one number, that number is: zero.
Turns out we have never ended up seeking a company that approached us via the application form on our website. We’ve followed up with many and there are most definitely high-level startups that come our way. But after years of reviewing the wins and losses column, we’ve realized that our best deals have all come to us via one reason:
1) Found an introduction from someone in our network: startup alumni, mentor, investor, partner, a close friend of ours, or current Fleet startup.
It’s no coincidence since no one in this business can succeed alone. We all need a helping hand or multiple hands we should say. So it makes sense that the winning companies are those who have set up the most helpful team members. In the light of these results, we are no longer taking online applications.
Alternatively, we’ve decided to exclusively target applicants that come to us through our trusted network of startupers, entrepreneurs, investors, partners and friends whom we admire most.
Still, we encourage you to find your way to us to the pool for our upcoming Fleet! There are many ways, so we’d like to give you a few tips on how to.
7 Tips for Your Journey:
- Email is king.
- Social Media is queen. (contact us via Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook on a personal level)
- Are you solving a big enough problem and why is it important? (in 7 lines max)
- Say what you want early on and why Silicon Valley is the right place for you to thrive.
- Don’t forget your website. (A product demo and video is awesome, too)
- Include your Team. (Tell us why you’re the right team)
- Find someone to recommend you. (Not mandatory, of course, but it helps A LOT)
Don’t be in a rush to meet in person. Meetings are usually inefficient. Let’s start with email, don’t forget to include a reference from our network. We’d love to do a quick call after we’ve tried your product and we have something to discuss.
We are not experts in all the fields, but we are committed to answering your questions with no bullshit and we have good experience in Silicon Valley.
Can’t wait to hear about your journey. Good luck!